Introductie van de nieuwe bal een stukje dichterbij.

Bespreek hier de algemene zaken die met tafeltennis te maken hebben
hopper
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Introductie van de nieuwe bal een stukje dichterbij.

Berichtdoor hopper » 17 Apr 2013, 11:48

Laatste info van Larry Hodges over een nieuwe Japanse versie van de plastic bal (van zijn blog op tabletenniscoaching.com, April 3, 2013)

ITTF Coach John Olsen was able to try them out this past week. Below is his report, and here's the picture he took of the "new" plastic ball, where you can see the seam (for link to picture go to above mentioned blog on site)

I recently attending the March 2013 Stellan and Angie Bengtsson training camp at the Willamette Table Tennis Club in Salem, Oregon. The subject of the new plastic balls came up, and Stellan had a surprise for us. Not only did he have one of the plastic balls passed out at the 2012 Worlds, there was also a new one he had received from Japan just a couple of months ago.

First up was the "old" plastic ball. The first thing you notice is that this ball is seamless. There were no markings on it, but Stellan said it had come from DHS. As others have described, the sound it makes when it bounces was just awful, like it was badly cracked. The surface was very smooth, similar to how a Nittaku will get after much playing. Stellan couldn't remember if it was just worn or had always been that way. The ball was also fractionally larger than the current balls, what we play with now is just under 40 mm and Stellan said these plastic balls are slightly over 40mm. We didn't have any way to measure them accurately, but if you held a regular and a plastic ball in your hand, you could see a small difference in size. Hitting with the seamless ball felt like playing at high altitude, spin had significantly less effect on bringing it down. I couldn't tell if it was the size difference, the lack of texture or some other factor like weight that was causing the lack of spin effect. It also felt slower, but this could just be a subjective opinion on my part. One surprise was that, even with the terrible sound, it did bounce higher. We did some side-by-side drop tests, and the "old" seamless ball had a significantly higher bounce than a regular ball. I can't comment on how fragile it was, I mostly hit medium speed loops against a block.

The "new" plastic ball has a seam! There were no markings on this ball either, and Stellan did not know which company in Japan had manufactured it. Both plastic balls appeared to be the same size. The "new" one had a much more normal texture on the surface and sounded similar to a normal ball. The new plastic ball played closer to a celluloid ball than the seamless did, but still seemed to have less spin and felt a little slower. We didn't do a bounce test, but I didn't notice anything unusual when I was hitting, unlike with the seamless ball.

Se(a)ms like thing are improving a bit.....
TTV Rapidity
4e klasse Holland-Noord

Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Forehand)
Donic Bluefire JP02 (2.0 - Backhand)

ducoel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Introductie van de nieuwe bal een stukje dichterbij.

Berichtdoor ducoel » 11 Mei 2013, 23:40

Is die nieuwe bal al ergens in Nederland te koop; lijkt me wel leuk om deze eens uit te proberen.
Frame: Andro TemperTech Off-
FH: Tibhar EL-S 1.9 mm
BH: Tibhar EL-P 1,9mm

ELO 1-7-2017: 1516